Thursday, August 21, 2014

Slow Train Coming




I can't stop listening to Precious Angel by Bob Dylan from the Slow Train Coming album. As someone who grew up in a faith-filled atmosphere, it's hard to believe that this phase was just a blip for Dylan. This song is so convincing and such straight-to-the-bone gospel, and the sound still holds up majestically on vinyl.

I get very sporadic about writing about myself - and I think I'm starting to figure out why that is; introspection brings with it a very special brand of 'dark nights of the soul'.

Lately, the August days have been semi-quiet and unseasonably cool. Rain has fallen more than the sun has shone. The earth is beginning to emit that smokey mud-stink that usually happens later in October. There have been some beautiful days, and some days where the Maker makes a mark that can't be denied, but there have also been some odd nuggets in between. I walk through these neighbourhoods that once stupefied me as a child, and I deliver papers on the streets where I once played carelessly.

There have been days that just coast by in a bit of an ethereal haze. I wake up, drink coffee from my Tom Petty mug, and plan everything out according to my day. Whether I'm writing, editing video or doing deliveries, one thing is absolutely sure - my life is markedly better than it was a year and a half ago.

I do, as an entrepreneur, have to worry about the provision of funds from time to time, but I just equate that as having to adjust my lifestyle accordingly. For I have had much and I have had little in this life, and as a marginal human being, I tend to live barely under my means in any circumstance. I know we all do.

These days, I find myself mostly thankful and accepting of my surroundings. I have family and friends nearby. I can roam within the corral, but I can also get out and graze and run free if I need to get gone. I know this feeling can't last forever, but I'm milking it for as long as I can.

We all need each other, and the train is coming for us all, so why not embrace that truth, and live every day out brilliantly as if it were our last?

Precious angel, under the sun
How was I to know you’d be the one
To show me I was blinded, to show me I was gone
How weak was the foundation I was standing upon?
Now there’s spiritual warfare and flesh and blood breaking down
Ya either got faith or ya got unbelief and there ain’t no neutral ground
The enemy is subtle, how be it we are so deceived
When the truth’s in our hearts and we still don’t believe?
Shine your light, shine your light on me
Shine your light, shine your light on me
Shine your light, shine your light on me
Ya know I just couldn’t make it by myself
I’m a little too blind to see

website statistics