Friday, January 14, 2011

Reality Bites And Friday Nights

I'd never actually seen Reality Bites until tonight. I bought it at a nearly
closed Blockbuster for 5 bucks and figured I'd probably like it because
my friends Mark Wallace from Guelph and Melinda from Kingston
always quoted it...and well...they are both quintessentially 'cool'
people.

I liked it.

What was sort of sad about watching this great 90's throwback film,
though, was the fact that the core of the film revolved around 4 newly
graduated friends who are done their first round of post-secondary
endeavours and trying to figure out what to do with their lives -
The sad part was feeling like I could relate to all of their yearnings
and feelings and I've been done university for 8 years. 8 years, man.
You don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I don't really like society a lot of the time. But, in point of fact, does
that mean I should move to a different culture somewhere else on the
globe just so I can fit in? What's the fucking deal? Why is everyone so
obsessed with money and status and career? In the post-modern world,
a career can be three years. In the post-war world of my parents, a
career was a job you chose for your entire life. My mom became a
teacher and my dad became an accountant 40 years ago. And they
still do those things.

Me? I worked at a call centre for 3 years, worked as a bartender for
a year, worked landscaping and lumber seasonally for about 5 years,
worked as an office administrator for a church for almost a year,
worked as a junior accountant/data entry lackie for 15 years on and
off, worked as a sound-tech/assistant manager for the town hall in
Cobourg for nearly a year, worked for pennies at a Christian camp
for 12 years in the summers and springs, taught guitar lessons for
a year, worked at CTV for 8 hours, worked in a daycare for about
4 years...but I digress.

Decision is my biggest destructor.
Reality does bite.  

I need a job.

website statistics