Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Longing For Humanity
http://www.channel4.com/film/media/images/Channel4/film/S/synecdoche_new_york_xl_03--film-A.jpg
If you haven't yet seen Charlie Kaufman's 'Synecdoche New
York', I highly recommend you do so. This film borders on
the threshold of bizarre and then moves comfortably into
surreality. It is a work like no other and a film I will think
about for years to come. I plan to write a full review here
very soon.

I watched this movie as I fell asleep last night. Granted -
that was not the best time of day to process something of
this magnitude but Sarah and I both stayed fairly glued
to the screen until after 2 am.

Without the use of any spoilers, this film talks a lot about
life as a complete work of art. It made me think of many
things and ask myself many questions.
Am I satisfied with where I am right now? Do I plan too
far ahead instead of living for the moment? Will I ever
put my time and resources into something truly important
and ground-breaking? Do I care and love the people
around me and tell them that enough? Will the key to
my odd code be shown to me in the next life and allow
me make sense of what is happening?

Humanity is what interests me. To exist only in a spiritual
realm is to deny this 'mortal coil' that entangles all of us.
We are who we are and where we are. To speak of things
extra-worldly without first being rooted within the body
is like a math teacher who is a genius but who does not
have the first inkling as to how to teach a room full of
students. We must start within our own skin, socks and
gitch and bounce heavenward from there. We are the
base - the clay. To speak about moral aptitudes without
showing your true colours is false.

I struggle in the balance of showing too much colour...and
not showing enough. Humanity is a constant battle of
balance. How closely can we walk a line? Diplomacy.
Objectiveness. Impartiality. These words plague us and
turn us into robots...and yet we long for them at the
same time.

'Paradoxicality'. Midaswell invent a new word. It might
mean more.

website statistics