Monday, June 08, 2009

Another Glebe Coffee Experience
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2009/01/starbucks1.jpg
This morning, I went to my usual spot to get coffee.
That's right, haters - I go to Starbucks (but before
you retort with the usual 'Starbucks sucks - go
to Bridgehead' type-banter, you should know your
facts. I'm just saying - I've studied the facts - so
be prepared for a long and heated debate) and
the guy behind the counter was new. He and his
colleagues were having some kind of discussion
about Britney Spears or some crap of that nature
(BTW - did you know you can buy a Britney Spears
licked/used Starbucks cup on Ebay? Crazy) and I
came right up to the counter. He looked at me but
said nothing. No 'hi' or 'What can I get you' or
anything of that sort. With the lack of any pleasantry,
I proceeded to order my usual Grande Estima. He
punched in the order and then spoke the amount
I owed. I thought 'Maybe he's shy - or maybe it's
his first day - whatever' and I let it go. I paid the
money, said 'Thanks a lot!' and went to the cream
and sugar station. Before I got there, though, there
was a lady who came in behind me to order (with a
stroller - go FIGURE!) and upon seeing her, the guy
at the counter bellows out 'GOOD MOOORNING!'
in a very flamboyant manner. At this point, the lady
chatted it up with the counter guy, picking up her
baby and stalling the line.

I stared at the scene for a second...and then left. 'How
odd!', I thought. The counter guy can't say one word
to greet me but becomes a stage actor for the next
lady in line and basically sings her a ballad. It's weird
how we can quickly become so favouritist - so elite
in our actions without even realizing it.

Just thinkin'.

website statistics