Saturday, April 04, 2009

Every New Band Wants To Sound Like The Flaming Lips

I wish it wasn't true but it is. Two bands have shaped the sound
of the modern era of pop-indie music and they are The Flaming
Lips and Wilco. Bands strive hard to emulate (which is to say
'imitate') the sounds of these bands and make it their own.
The problem is that the unsung path-blazers will always have
less of a fanbase because their music can't be synced up with 
playlists that allow the listener to not have to change genres 
during his or her morning jog.

I just watched the up and comers 'Phoenix' play live on SNL.
Very good - but very Flaming Lips. And I mean VERY Flaming
Lips (right down to the high-range, thin, slightly-effeminate,
jittery vocalist).

What's the deal here? I'm not even a massive Flaming Lips or 
Wilco fan but I appreciate the realms they bring to different
songs. I'm sure they don't like turning on the radio to hear
another emulator. Music has become more about the style
and the delivery as opposed to the finished product. I don't
want to diss Phoenix, though - they actually seem like a 
normal bunch of guys with a palpable sound. We'll see.

Anyways, enough of that rant. I'm about to hit the sac for some
serious z-time. I plan to drop a snooze on this world and 
lumber off to slumberland in my big pillow-truck. Cut me
down some nap-wood.

Snoodge.

  


website statistics