Monday, February 09, 2009

A New Week Brings New Annoyances
http://www.alittletrendy.com/Site/Burps_files/ALittleTrendyMomYellow%20copy.png

Alright. What I have to say within the duration of this blog
may not sound friendly, nice or very Jesus-like but it must
be spewed. What is the deal with fashionista-mom trends?
Where I work (in the Glebe), there are thousands of
young, stroller-shoving mothers who scurry about the local
businesses within the region. I've noticed a few things:
-They like big, long puffy coats (usually black or grey)
and copy each other within fashion choices
-They don't care if you are walking toward them on a
sidewalk because they will ram you with their strollers
-They take as long as they want to when ordering at
coffee shops
-They don't really try to look different and blend into the
fabric of every other young mom in the region
-They seem to think that having a child in a stroller is
code for 'Have pity on me/notice me/get out of my
way'

This morning dans Starbucks, there was a young mom
placing an order. I was the second person behind her
in line. She had a black puffy coat. She said the words
'I want...oh, what DO I want?' while jingling her change
about in her hand and hushing her child (and even
asking her child who was not yet old enough to
speak, let alone read minds, what she wanted). By the
time she finished, looked around and had her staged
moment, there were 6 people behind me in line. The
whole ordeal took about 7 minutes.

Example #2: Upon leaving Starbucks, there were two
ladies (same age as the Starbucks mom) who were ahead
of me on the sidewalk, both with strollers, and moving
at a snail's pace. As they sensed I was moving closer,
they both stopped their convos and turned to look
back at me. Did they move aside and let me through
the snowy sidewalk? No - they did not. They stood
there and expected me to go on to the busy street
and go around them. It would have taken 2 seconds
for one mother to move her stroller ahead or back
to let me pass.

Is there need for that? Really? Is there? When you
become a mother, does it mean that you give up on
life and become engulfed by your own baby-esque
bubble? Is there some chemical that is emitted from
strollers that goes into the bloodstream of these
mothers that tells them 'Hey! Act really aloof and
draw as much attention to yourself as you can! It's
all about YOU!'

Having said that, it is important to asterisk the notion
that I DO indeed have friends who are moms...but for
the most part, I'd like to think that most of my friends
have a general clue about life and the regard of others.
I love moms and I hope my wife has the chance to be
one some day BUT in no way do I think that
motherhood gives someone a 'free pass' to act like
an ass.

I know - I have NO clue how to be a mom. Am I saying it's
simple to raise a child into this world? Absolutely not. What
I am saying, though, is that it is equally important while
raising a child of your own to still respect, notice and
look out for those within your immediate vicinity.
There are new studies that talk about the learning rate
of infants and the studies are astounding in the sense
of what infants can absorb, retain and communicate (i.e.
sign language, music, etc.). If that is the case, then, and
a mother-child bond is like nothing else in this world,
shouldn't moms be extra careful about how they act
when they are in public? Just asking.

website statistics