Monday, January 12, 2015

Take Yourself Out


There are days that go by that don't seem to slow down. The march of time is a rhythmic but steady one - but on some days, it feels like the metronome has been cranked up a notch. 

On a day where my body told me to take more time off before re-starting manual work with a bum wrist (mild sprain of some kind), I had a wild thought. I was already in the downtown core doing some postering for one of my part-time gigs, and I did something I barely ever do - I took myself out for lunch. 

In 2008-09, in my rock-band, bar tending Centretown days, there was a Chinatown haunt that I used to love called New Mee Fung. I was introduced to that same place by my friend Skippy. When he first took me there, and squeezed the lime into his bowl, I felt like I had stumbled into a new dimension of vivacious flavour. With a flair for the spicy side at times, I've only ever ordered one thing there over half a decade - #136 - the spicy sate pho with your choice of chicken or beef. Since then, I've only taken a few people to this place, and I'm sure those special folks have felt the simple magic of this basic decor, Booth street walk-up.

Sometimes it can be a chore for me to put my phone away, and to just spend some time alone, but there is something about the forced trudge-pace of winter that makes me accept the practice of me-time. I smelled the uber-fiery broth and let the spicy-peanut, rocket-fuel-injected aroma hit my nostrils. I looked out the window on to the very non-bustling Chinatown street, I sat back in my slip cover chair, and I was grateful for a reflexive Monday moment - and for doing something fun all by my lonesome.

Many, many times in this wild, hypersonic, technicolour life, we can get lost in listening too much to other people - and not listening enough to ourselves. If you don't listen to yourself and care for yourself first, how can you care for others? 

Take yourself out. You deserve it.

website statistics