Thursday, March 06, 2008

Forced To Slow Down



This is the sight of the incident. So much snow. I can barely reach
the keyboard through the whistling drifts as stinging ice particles hit
my upper lip. Dogs bark from yards nearby - their snouts frosted
and nostrils flaring.

Wicked come winter.

There was another snowfall in Ottawa that started Tuesday night
and finished Wednesday afternoon. A dumping of ghastly white
proportions. My mom didn't go to work as her school called it
a snow day (the 6th one this winter). I decided to trek to the
convenience store to pick up some road salt as our front
walkway is smoother than the Rideau Canal. The nice man at
the Lion King Convenience informed me that 'Ottawa is all sold
out of salt. It's gone! Everywhere! Gone!' He flailed his arms as
he spoke in disbelief of his own words.

I started the long journey back and basically had to walk on the
roads as the sidewalks were caked with 4 feet of cold, white glop.
Each footstep slipped as under the plowed snow, there was a
shiny layer of black ice. I had an orange toque on so that cars
could see me. Some honked. Others waved. I helped push 4
different vehicles that were all stuck in unplowed terrain.

When I arrived home, I ate some home made lentil soup.
I also shovelled the driveway for the second time that day.

The sun came out around 4:30 to signify the end of the storm.

It was, indeed, a snow day.

Sometimes it's good to be forced to slow down.

website statistics